Monday, August 02, 2010

Ready, Set, SEW!

This is the fabric I chose to make pillow cases for the Craft Hope project #9 :: ConKerr Cancer. I've never made them before, but figured they couldn't be too hard. Then I found this easy-peasy-quick-as-a-wink tutorial on YouTube. Since I don't have a serger I finished them using french seams.

Seriously, these only take about 15 minutes to make so I'm going for more fabric today! Check out the tutorials below and let me know if you decide to make some.



French Seams (There are no raw edges to unravel with this method!)

1 ~Fold the pillowcase with the wrong sides together. Stitch 1/4" seams. Trim the seam allowances to 1/8".
2 ~Turn the pillowcase wrong side out and press. Stitch 1/4". That's it!
3 ~Turn so the right sides are out, press, and your pillowcase if finished :)

Fabric Requirements for the Easy Tube Pillowcase:

3/4 yard of bright 100% cotton print (if you are making these for Craft Hope/ConKerr Cancer)
1/3 yard of bright 100% cotton print (if you are making these for Craft Hope/ConKerr Cancer)
3" of bright 100% cotton print (if you are making these for Craft Hope/ConKerr Cancer) This is totally optional. I didn't use any for the two in the pictures.

I've read that the greatest need is for pillowcases that would appeal to boys and teenagers. You may want to keep that in mind when selecting your fabrics.

One finally note. After making mine I prewashed and ironed them so they will be ready for the Oregon area coordinator to deliver. You can find out your area's coordinator by checking here.

3 comments:

Genie Robinson said...

Debbie, As you have probably seen on my blog, I have been trying to make 100 dresses for the Little Dresses for Africa charity. All along I was seeing the pillowcase projects our there, but have not made any of them. I need to stop on my pillowcase dresses and make a few of the pillowcases. I ‘ve knitted hats and caps and make some lap quilts for Cancer recipients , but the pillowcases sound like they would be a real pleasure to make. Your fabric is so bright...your cases are going to brighten some people’s lives.

Hugs,
Genie
buttonsforbaga.blogspot.com

M.Kate said...

Hello Debbie, very nice pillowcases and I am sure it's not too difficult to make. This is interesting as you've just gave me a fresh idea to sew some for the kids and totally agree with you, the materials and patterns are so important to them. Love ya :P

Kimmie said...

Yours came out so cute.

Thanks for sharing the how to. I think my kids would love this.

xoxo
Kimmie