Sunday, May 30, 2010

Remembering All Who Served

                                                           
  Freedom Is Not Free
   By Kelly Strong

I watched the flag pass by one day. It fluttered in the breeze.
A young Marine saluted it,
and then he stood at ease.
I looked at him in uniform
So young, so tall, so proud,
He'd stand out in any crowd.
I thought how many men like him
Had fallen through the years.
How many died on foreign soil?
How many mothers' tears?
How many pilots' planes shot down?
How many died at sea?
How many foxholes were soldiers' graves?
No, freedom isn't free.

I heard the sound of TAPS one night,
When everything was still
I listened to the bugler play
And felt a sudden chill.
I wondered just how many times
That TAPS had meant "Amen,"
When a flag had draped a coffin
Of a brother or a friend.
I thought of all the children,
Of the mothers and the wives,
Of fathers, sons and husbands
With interrupted lives.
I thought about a graveyard
At the bottom of the sea
Of unmarked graves in Arlington.
No, freedom isn't free

My daughter borrowed the picture & poem above for her blog today. I borrowed her sentiments below for mine :)

"Even with the freedoms and beliefs that I hold dear often threatened, and with all that is wrong with this country... I know that the price that has been paid for me to be free to voice my opposition, the price for me to take a stand when I see the need, the price that has been paid. It's value is one I find hard to say anything other than THANK YOU. This land we love may be imperfect, but the people who have fought to keep my freedoms available to me, the families who have given their loved ones whether I would say thank you or not, the men and women who wonder if they will ever come home again. No matter what their reason, or whether it is right or wrong that they are serving... They SERVE. When the government tells them they are needed, whether or not they agree, THEY SERVE. I have seen the scars that some of my friends and loved ones have returned with. I have witnessed the effects of scars that can't be seen with the eye. The price is high. You don't have to have lost your life to have paid dearly for this country and it's people. There are missed births. Missed childhood milestones. Broken marriages. Broken souls. The least I can do is say THANK YOU. Because the sacrifices they have given for nothing in return from me... they deserve my thanks. So THANK YOU. Thank you children. Thank you wives. Thank you mothers. Thank you fathers. Thank you brothers and sisters. I am forever grateful."

1 comment:

Dave and Bethany said...

Hey Friend! Happy Memorial Day! I hope you are having a good one! I wanted to let you know that we are having a movie night at The Sherwoods' house on June 5th at 6 pm and we'll be watching "Where in the World is OBL" - just a reminder that it is rated PG-13 for naughty language. If you can make it, great! If not, hope to see you somewhere else soon!