Friday, December 05, 2008

Scrappi Jessi's Cookie Swap...


and my baby's THIRTY THIRD(!) birthday. {{{Love you}}}

Welcome everyone to Scrappi Jessi's 2nd annual Cookie Swap! I just did a post about these little button-like cookies for International Button Week, but when I saw that Jessi was doing a cookie exchange I just couldn't resist making up another batch to share with you too. I'm so glad you stopped by! I just love sharing a spot of tea and a cookie or two with friends like you. Feel free to copy the recipe if you loved these buttery little cookies as much as I do!

Swedish Wafer Christmas Cookies
(from Marilyn Stender to Rosalind Hose to Debbie Doughty to you!)

Cookie:
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1/3 cup whipping cream
  • 2 cups sifted flour (I'm not sure if sifting is necessary with our "modern" flour, but I do it because I love using my sifter, lol)
  • Plate of granulated sugar, set aside
  • Combine butter and whipping cream in mixing bowl.
  • Mix with an electric mixer, slowly adding flour until well blended.
  • Cover and Chill until firm
  • Roll dough out 1/3 at a time to 1/8" thickness
  • Cut into 1 and 1/2" circles.
  • With fingers or spatula, transfer to plate of granulated sugar and coat each side.
  • Transfer to ungreased cookie sheet. They don't expand much so they can be close.
  • Prick each cookie with a toothpick four times so it resembles a button.
  • Bake @ 375 degrees for 7-9 minutes. Watch bottoms closely, they brown before the tops.
  • Cool and fill
Filling:
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1 egg yolk (you can use dehydrated eggs yolks if you prefer. I tried them for the first time with this batch and they turned out fine)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 3/4 cup sifted confectioners sugar
  • Food coloring. I usually make half pink and half light green.
  • Combine butter, egg yolk and vanilla in mixing bowl.
  • Beat with an electric mixer, slowly adding confectioners sugar until smooth and creamy.
  • Add food coloring drop by drop until you reach desired color.
Makes about 4 dozen cookies


13 comments:

Scrappy Jessi said...

hey sweets,,
these look fab

oxoxo,
jessi

Heidi - what's in a name? said...

these are adorable, my girls would love them!
:)Heidi

tamy@simplymein said...

these look and sound FABULOUS!
thanks for sharing
xo

rachel whetzel said...

THANK YOU for my birthday song!!

Heidi of Everyday Cookies said...

Buttons? Cookie? All in one! You've got to KNOW I'm all about your cookie today! I hope to get a chance to make these, or similar button cookies, soon!
Smiles! Heidi

Malissa said...

I'm definitely stealing these. I'm half swedish! I make a traditional Thousand Leaves Torte every Thanksgiving, now I can put these out on Christmas! Thanks for posting them!

M.Kate said...

Too yummy..thanks to you, there goes my diet for the next 2 hours hehe..what is dehydrated eggs..I have never heard about it. Big hugs for the weekend :D

Gypsy Mermaid said...

ohh these look so yummy and fun! not your average everyday cookie! cant wait to try them! come by and check out my blog I got a little party gong on! hugs

toodles-
sarah

mendytexas said...

What beautiful cookies!! Thanks so much for the recipe, and for coming by to "try" out mine too!
:)mendy

bluemuf said...

Your button cookies look wonderful and sound so good.

Karen

m i c h e l l e said...

Oh my these sound SO good! I love any cookie that goes good with tea!!! :-)

Leslie said...

This cookie recipe looks so yummy-I'm going to have to try it! Your blog is very nice and I have enjoyed reading some of your posts. I love Jesus too-always have always will. Soon enough, we will celebrate His birth!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts,
Leslie

Nerissa Alford said...

oh yummy! I can't wait to try these :) thank you for sharing with us
Nerissa