Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Cute as a Button Cookies

Since this is one of my all time favorite Christmas cookie recipes, and Christmas is just around the corner, I thought I'd re-post it just in case you missed it the first time....

I've been a member of the Button Floozies blog for quite awhile, but I think today is the first time I've posted something there. International Button Week seemed like the perfect time to share this recipe there and I thought I'd share it here too, but be sure and check out the Button Floozies blog if you love buttons of the non-edible type! For now, enjoy some of these...


Swedish Wafer Christmas Cookies
(from Marilyn Stender to Rosalind Hose to Debbie Doughty to you!)

Cookie:
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1/3 cup whipping cream
  • 2 cups sifted flour (I'm not sure if sifting is necessary with our "modern" flour, but I do it because I love using my sifter ;)
  • Plate of granulated sugar, set aside
  • Combine butter and whipping cream in mixing bowl.
  • Mix with an electric mixer, slowly adding flour until well blended.
  • Cover and Chill until firm
  • Roll dough out 1/3 at a time to 1/8" thickness
  • Cut into 1 and 1/2" circles.
  • With fingers or spatula, transfer to plate of granulated sugar and coat each side.
  • Transfer to ungreased cookie sheet. They don't expand much so they can be close.
  • Prick each cookie with a toothpick four times so it resembles a button.
  • Bake @ 375 degrees for 7-9 minutes. Watch bottoms closely, they brown before the tops.
  • Cool and fill
Filling:
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1 egg yolk (you can use dehydrated eggs yolks if you prefer. I tried them for the first time with this batch and they turned out fine)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 3/4 cup sifted confectioners sugar
  • Food coloring. I usually make half pink and half light green.
  • Combine butter, egg yolk and vanilla in mixing bowl.
  • Beat with an electric mixer, slowly adding confectioners sugar until smooth and creamy.
  • Add food coloring drop by drop until you reach desired color.
Makes about 4 dozen cookies

7 comments:

rachel whetzel said...

um. You have my mailing address, right?

vannasmom said...

those are so cute !

M.Kate said...

when I look at the picture..i thought they were bananas..I'd love to have a bite..may just try it :D

cindy said...

These look delish!

c

Siany said...

Oooh they look yummy! Johnny has been going thru a gingerbread and melting moments phase so im loving the cookies atm!!

Creative Breathing said...

Debbie, I am beyond excited that you left a comment as I received your wonderful Christmas card (I will be sharing in upcoming post) but couldn't recall your blog name. Valentines should not be received until close to the "big" day. I look forward to swapping a Valentine with you! By the wy, these are my daughter's favorite cookies, and we make them often! I didn't think anyone else knew of them. What a lovely surprise! Elizabeth

mindakims said...

OMG! I typed in the name of a cookie that my mom used to make hoping to find a recipe (hers got lost in the move) and BAM! I get it from one of my favorite people I'd lost touch with! Hi Debbie!

Minda