Thursday, October 02, 2008

A Week in the Life ~ Thursday

Oh what a day I've had! It started out innocently enough...
  • Woke up early. Weird considering I went to bed after midnight. Start coffee.
  • Showered & Dressed
  • Get breakfast. John brings in surprise from garden ~ heart shaped figs! (Well, kind of, but nothing like The Tomato!)
  • Make list for today's errands.
  • Fiddle around on bloglines.
  • Change font to pink on Breast Cancer Awareness Month avatar.
  • Post new avatar. Switch back to the one with white font.
  • Get ready for gym, cleaning, errands.
  • Get sidetracked trying to order jewelry bails on ebay.
  • Get to gym late. Skip treadmill.
This is where things began to get hairy...
  • Feel dizzy after workout. (12noon) Vision not right. Think there's a floaty in my eye.
  • Go to car. Vision is worse. Now I can't read the October flyer from the gym. The words look pixilated and jumpy. Kind of like I'm looking through a kaleidoscope.
  • Call Doctor. Not in. Call John. At meeting. Decide to drive to the eye doctor.
  • Vision gets worse! Feels like I am looking through a tunnel of twinkly lights. Think I may pass out.
  • Pull over and try to call Donna for help. Not home.
  • Really feel like I am going to pass out. Try to call 911 but screw it up a few times, just like in a dream! Finally I succeed.
  • 911 lady decides to send an ambulance.
  • Waiting for the ambulance my vision begins to clear. Just a few twinkles in my lower right eye.
  • Fire department arrives first. Now my vision is fine! Ambulance arrives next.
  • They take me inside the laundromat to check my BP, Pulse, Oxygen, etc. Everything seems fine. They leave. I make a few calls to let everyone know I am OK. (1:40)
  • Head off to my cleaning job. Stop to get a fish sandwich and start feeling not normal again. Vision starts going wacky. Again.
  • Decide to skip cleaning and head on home.
  • Sit around wondering what the heck is going on!
  • 2:10 Vision seems fine. Again.
  • 3:15 vision blurry. Again.
  • 4:00 Fine again.
  • Whine to John about my day. Have him take me to store to finish errands. Justify buying another book I do not need because I've had such a crumby afternoon :)
  • 7:38 Still fine. Hope it stays that way!
*UPDATE:

Thanks guys for your concern! I just want you to know that I am still fine. I have an appointment with the eye doc the 7th and my GP on the 20th. In the mean time I have talked with family and friends, searched the web, and diagnosed myself with Silent Migraine. You can read all about it
here, or the part I borrowed below.

Silent migraine is one name for a type of migraine attack that doesn't include a headache.
As strange as it may sound, it's actually not all that unusual. Over the years, silent migraine has gone by other names, including acephalgic migraine, sans-migraine, migraine equivalent, eye migraine, visual migraine, ocular migraine, painless migraine or simply migraine aura without headache. Today it's usually called migraine aura without headache. Migraine aura is a term used to describe many of the other symptoms that go along with migraine, but it's usally referring to visual symptoms. This might include zig zags or flashing lights, (like I had!) or having dizziness or vertigo...

Interestingly, migraine aura without headache more often occurs later in life, and more often in men that in women.


4 comments:

Kristina said...

Hmm...ok the nurse in me says to make sure you get an appointment with the eye doctor AND your family doctor. How's your blood pressure? Also...do you get migraines? What you just described is exactly how mine start....it's called an ocular migraine. Hope you're feeling better....and consider a trip to the doctor :)

latte_grande said...

What on earth?!! That's not normal eyeball behavior! I can't believe the EMTs didn't say something like, "Oh, that's insertnameofphenomenonhere, and it's really quite common. Just make sure you lie down next time you experience it with a cold washcloth over your eyes and call me in the morning." You know? Take care of you and let us know what the DOCTOR says! (You know, the doctor you're going to see ASAP?!)

Leah C said...

that is SO scary!! I hope you go see an eye doctor today... that's not right at all. of course you know that and will be updating us with what the eye doc says, right? {{big hugs}} Proud of you for pulling over and calling the medics.

rachel whetzel said...

REALLY glad you're OK, Mom!!