Wednesday, July 09, 2008

It must be in my genes



I've noticed that A LOT of my blogging friends like the thrill of finding that special treasure at bargain prices. In other words, they like finding stuff cheap at thrift stores, flea markets, or garage sales. I guess it's true what they say about water seeking its own level, cause I love it too. There is just something comforting about a room full of vintage stuff, each piece with its own history. Oh, if they could only talk!

My mom and dad were into antiques and thrift store treasures for as long as I can remember. In fact, the picture is a purse my mom bought for 50 cents at the Goodwill when I was a little girl! She even let me play with it! Oh dear.

Both my parents were very creative and our home reflected their very unique styles, creations, and bargain finds. As a child I longed for a "normal" home. One with rooms like the kind I saw in the Sears or JCPenneys catalog. Later, of course, I came to appreciate and cherish it. And now I am happy that my own home is not so normal either!

4 comments:

latte_grande said...

Holy amazing beads, Batman!! That purse is GORGEOUS!! Now I'm in the mood to go thrifting....ah, who am I kidding, I'm ALWAYS in the mood to go thrifting, lol!

MarĂ­a Elena said...

Debbie, beautiful purse and post! I love these antique things, and my house is full of those things, and is "normal" too.

Siany said...

Wow! What a stunning bag!! Im sure that would be so expensive to buy brand new now!!

Abby and Becky said...

That is uniqely fabulous, and I am glad that you completely cherish your childhood life when you were a kid. I would love a household like that. I love thrifting, and yard sales, and vintage things, and old treasures that are so amazing to find. My parents don't like junk cluttering around the house, so I guess it just happens to be that I am a raving pack-rat. I have always wanted a not-norml family. But I guess that our family is not so very normal, since I am 1 kid of of 11. but I love yardsaling, and goodwill, and second hand rose, and thrifting stores, and i love being o unusual, and I'm not normal at all. And i'm glad that I'm not the same as everyone else. So congratulations for being cool, and i love your blog. It is so very lovely. And I am not being sarcastic.