Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Merry Christmas!

Yep, I'm actually posting on Christmas day. If you are reading this on Christmas day you've probably celebrated Christmas already or, like me, will be celebrating with the family tomorrow. I've felt Christmas in the air since October and I'm not sure I'm ready to have it over with!

I've had so much fun creating things this year. I just finished this banner last night and I must say, I love it! The Christmas sheet music is copies from a book I've had since I was a little girl.





Every year I try to do something special with my gift wrapping so the person receiving it will be able to tell how much I care about them just by looking at it. For the grandsons this year I made ornaments with their pictures on them to double as gift tags. Click here to see what I did for my friend Jill last year.

A few days before Christmas I got the baking bug. It was nice to be able to share something with our neighbors. HoHos, Mexican Wedding Cakes, Chocolate Crispy Balls, Fudge, Pecan-Cranberry Biscotti, and my favorite this year, Swedish Wafer Cookies. My mom used to make these. She got the recipe from our neighbor, so they've been in our family for close to 50 years(!) They are light as air and oh so rich and buttery, yummm.. I'll leave you with a pic and the recipe so you can try them, but don't wait until next Christmas, with red filling they'd make a nice treat for your Valentine!

SWEDISH WAFER COOKIES

Wafers:
1 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
2 cups sifted flour
Set aside a plate full of granulated sugar

Mix all the ingredients. Chill.
Roll dough out 1/3 at a time to 1/8" thickness.
Cut into 1" circles. With a spatula transfer to sugar. Coat both sides.
Place on ungreased cookie sheets.
Prick each cookie 3 times with a fork.
Bake 7-9 minutes @ 375 degrees in preheated oven until just lightly golden.
Cool and fill.

Filling:
1/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sifted confectioners sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon heavy whipping cream (the original recipe calls for one egg yolk)
1 drop food coloring

Mix all ingredients together with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.

ENJOY!

4 comments:

Siany said...

Merry Christmas! Hope you had a fabulous time with your family! Your decorations are just beautiful! I really love the banner!!
xx

Keely Yowler said...

Absolutely beautiful Christmas banner! Have a wonderful holiday!

barb michelen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Deb G said...

Hope you and your loved ones had a great Christmas!! Need to say..your cards are so beautiful..and I really, REALLY dig that there snowman!! Thanks for popping by my blog too..Love to you for the New Yearxxoo