Saturday, December 01, 2007

December Birthdays

This is on its way to Rachel for her birthday. She took the picture of us under the pier in Huntington Beach on our trip to SoCal this October.

Christmastime equals birthday time at our house. Obviously there is the birth of our Savior, but there is so much more to celebrate than just his birth. It's a perfect time to contemplate his life, love, and example. A time to remember why I was created and how I want to be a reflection of his love, to be a light that shines bright in an often dark world.

It is also a time to celebrate the births of my two daughters and the light they are in my life. It has been so enriched by these two girls, now women. They helped me to grow in ways that only loving and rearing children can. Yes, there were many challenges, but the memories of them growing up are something I hold dear to my heart. Little ones, so fresh from God, yet grown and gone so quickly. Oh, the laughter and giggles that filled our home! Warm baths and lullabies at bedtime; Silent Night for Rachel, We're All Children of the Lord for Melea. The slumber-birthday parties. "Fishing" in the house. Clowning with Grandma. Mooning the moon. Trips to the Grand Canyon, Disneyland, Ka'neta, and Mount Saint Helens after the eruption. Visiting Grandma and Grandpa in Arizona. Rafting on the Colorado River behind Grandpa's boat. Feeding donkeys on the streets of Kingman and the porch on the North 40. Rides in the bucket of Grandpa Jack's tractor. Camping at the coast. Books from WinterRiver. Reading in the trailer. Shelling crabs. The joy of watching them build driftwood forts in the sand with their dad - even in the rain. Playing kitty and Indians. Susan and the girl in the mirror. Stick horses. Cookies, thunder, and lightning in the middle of the night. Rats, rabbits, birds, snakes and other assorted reptiles, and yes, even puppies for pets. The fair and 4H. Seeing Eye and Hearing Ear dogs. Love notes taped to a mirror. Visits from the tooth fairy and Spring Bunny. Sunday treats from "the little market store". No T.V. for nine years! Five Mile Creek and Ann of Green Gables over and over again. (Me crying every time Matthew died.) Reading, reading, reading; All of A Kind Family, Winnie the Pooh, Little House, The Wind in the Willows, To Heaven on a Horse, Indian Captive, We Were Tired of Living in a House, Marvin K. Mooney and so many more! Riding horses and overnights with friends. Carving pumpkins and trying to sell roasted pumpkin seeds to the neighbors without success:( Trips to Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor in the fall. Sharing milestones like a first bra and the prom. Ballet, dance, piano, and Tung So Do lessons. Gymnastics and cheer leading. Romping through the woods and snow looking for the perfect Christmas tree. Hot chocolate with marshmallows and Chili to warm up. Dad trimming down the "perfect" tree to fit indoors! Stringing popcorn and cranberry garlands. Baking plates of cookies for new neighbors and at Christmastime; Kojos, Snowball, and Sour Cream. Protein fingers and Porky pine Balls. Grinding wheat berries to make bread. Holt picnics in the summer. Walks in the woods by the light of the moon. Playing hooky from homeschool when the call of the spring sunshine was too incredible to resist. "Science" in the trailer by the pond. Trampolines and arithmetic. Winston Grammar and Math-it. Bunny rabbits and Spanish lessons. Recitals and Christmas programs at church. Little arms around my neck and kisses planted on my cheek. Little feet in my face in the middle of the night. "I love you, Mommy," whispered in my ear. "I love you too..."

My nest is empty now, but my life is not. There are new memories to make and new challenges to be met. I am so grateful I need not walk alone. God is always there for me when I am wise enough to seek him, like the wise men long ago.

{This is the beginning of a new day. You have been given this day to use as you will. You can waste it or use it for good. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever; in its place is something that you have left behind...let it be something good. ~ Author Unknown}

4 comments:

Nunnie's Attic said...

Aww, what a sweet post! Part of me waits for the day when it it's just me and husband enjoying the peace and quiet. And the other part of me knows that it is my children giving me peace now. The quiet will come later.

Love,
Julie

Paula said...

This is stunning!!!

happydays525 said...

Such a beautiful post!

Je@net said...

Oooh, isn't it sweet!!
Love your cards too!