Wednesday, November 07, 2007

SoCal revisited, page one


My little brown paper bag memory book is getting fuller and fuller as I continue to add memorabilia, pics and journaling. I love the way it is turning out :)

Here's some of the journaling for this layout.

October 11, 2007

I was able to find my grandma's old house without any trouble! Amazing! And I was pleasantly surprised to discover that it hadn't been torn down for an apartment complex as I had thought. It had just been remodeled. That was probably 40 years ago so it looked pretty run down, but it was still great to be able to see it after all these years. I just wish it had been light enough to get some good pictures of it and the neighborhood.

Some random things I remember about my Grandma Lucy and Grandpa Joe's house:
  • There was a huge avocado tree in the front yard
  • Grandma always had Ice Milk (not cream) in the freezer
  • She always made handmade flour tortillas for me
  • Grandpa rolled his own cigarettes (he died from Emphysema)
  • The front porch was covered and large enough to hold many potted plants
  • Grandma and I would play records or watch Lawrence Welk during dinner
  • She had a wind up clock that you could hear everywhere when the small house was quiet
  • The room I slept in had a picture of Jesus praying in the garden of Gethsemane
  • She would walk to town to do her errands. I don't know if she could drive
  • There was a tiny room no bigger than a closet off the kitchen. I loved that room
  • Picking geraniums to decorate the dinner table
  • Feeling special
{The heart hath its own memory, like the mind, and in it are enshrined the precious keepsakes. ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow}

4 comments:

jess said...

i LOVE your little brown paper bag memory book bag!!! What an awesome idea!! Looks os good all filled up!!
Xx Jess

Siany said...

Wooow!! Thats fantastic! I really love it! Great way to store all those memories! And the memories of your grandparents house were lovely.
xx

Nunnie's Attic said...

I love the memories you shared of your grandparents house. That's a great idea for a blog post and being that I stayed with my grandparents before I went to school while my parents worked...I might just have to do that. I have a million memories of that house.

Don't forget to drop by for my giveaway!

Love,
Julie

Rachel Whetzel said...

Love it. Thanks for the comments on MY blog! I did get them. I still have to work on my journal. I've set it aside, and I need to get it back OUT!