Sunday, July 15, 2007

Deck of Me Challenge #27 ~ Junk mail

This challenge: use your junk mail, was provided by Ali Edwards. Hunting through mine I was at a loss, until I spotted this cute little hound. It happened to be the hottest day of summer so far (102 degrees!), so "the dog days of summer" was my immediate first thought. After searching for the right words to describe some of the things I love about summer, I looked up the "the dog days of summer" in a book called, Common Phrases and Where They Come From. It was a serendipitous moment when I read this:

The Romans called them canicula res dies, which translated into "the dog days," or the hottest days of the summer.

According to Roman beliefs, Sirius, the dog star of Roman astrology and the brightest star in the sky for a period of weeks (from July 3 to August 11), rose daily with the sun. Along with the sun Sirius shone brightly throughout "the dog days." So the intense heat during this period was ascribed not only to the hear of the sun but to the intense brightness of the dog star as well.

I plan on using the definition in my journaling on the back. Perfect, huh?

8 comments:

Rachel Whetzel said...

It's even cuter in REAL LIFE! I love it.

Je@net said...

Ooooh it's great and so is the story behind it!

Marjolein said...

Oh, I love this with the dog!! And the story is great!!!

Paula said...

Fabulous little card & i so love the crown the dog is wearing. so cute.x

Michelle said...

What's a cute and funny card! This dog is lovely :)

Jenny said...

Okay...this is the coolest (no pun intended) I've seen. I love that you picked a dog and the phrase "the dog days of summer". That is so cool!

Lis said...

Love it, the doggy is just so cool!!

Dani said...

The crown is great , the dog looks sweet, so a great sweet card !! ;)