Monday, January 22, 2007

Whinings from a 52 year old woman

I just have to get this off my chest. Hopefully putting it in writing will help me straighten things out in my head!

I thought that once the kids were on their own I would have lots of extra time to do all the things I had been putting on hold for years. It hasn't turned out that way at all. In fact, I feel like I have less time even though I know that is impossible. Last time I checked anyway, everyday still has 24 hours in it. At the beginning of this year, a mere 22 days ago, I was full of hope that this would somehow be THE year of change. That I would figure out how to "do it all". The discouraging fact is I feel even more overwhelmed than ever. I have been thinking about this all morning and even talked about it with a friend. Here is what I've figured out so far:


  • Even though I have more time, I keep adding things to my to do list. I find neat/fun ideas everywhere, from friends, while shopping, in magazines, on T.V., and while lurking! Not to mention all the daily stuff that needs to be done and the volunteer work I'd like to do...

  • I am a perfectionist. When I get an idea, I want to read all about it and check out all the possibilities before I begin. BIG mistake. I end up overwhelmed and stuck, instead of busy creating.

  • I get distracted WAY too easily. I need to figure out why. I suspect it is because I have too much on my mind. I'm afraid it is because I am getting old(er).

So, right now I am going to take a walk to try and clear my mind and figure out what it is I really want to do when I grow up!

No comments: