Sunday, December 10, 2006

brown paper packages tied up with string...

I just had to post a picture of these goodies I'll be mailing to my good friend, Jill, down in So.CA. I just love the way they turned out. I finally feel my creative juices beginning to flow again! The gift in the back is a lowly brown lunch sack embellished with sheet music from a vintage flute music book, glitter, and a tag I saved (and embellished) from a purchase I made last Christmas. The gift on the right is wrapped in a bag I sewed from two pages of said book. The other two tags are the plain office supply store variety that I embellished a bit. The Egg Nog Taffy is made by Sweets Quality Candies and it is delicious! I 'discovered' SQC in the fall when they make a great Candy Corn Taffy.

And now for a few more of my favorite things. My friend Amanda sent me this 2006 Holiday Edition of Getting to Know Your Friends. I thought it would be fun to share my answers here with you. If you've seen these before, you know that the idea is to highlight, copy and paste it into your email, then put in your own answers and send it back to the person who sent it to you. That would be me! Here goes:

1. Egg nog or hot chocolate?
Hot chocolate with marshmallows

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just set them under the tree?
Wrap. I didn't know he left them any other way!

3. Colored or white lights on house/tree?
White icicle type on the house. Red around the front window. Colored on the tree (this year!)

4. Do you hang mistletoe? Yep, XOXO

5. When do you put your decorations up?
I start asap after Thanksgiving and just keep adding until it feels right.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
I don't really have one since Christmas dinner changes from year to year. I try and keep it simple!

7. Favorite holiday memory as a child?
Getting up before everyone else to make hot chocolate for them.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
We were told about the real Saint Nicholas, but liked to pretend about the modern version.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
No, but my husband gives me gifts throughout the month because he can't wait!

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree?
Most often with lights, handmade popcorn & cranberry garland, and ornaments I've collected for over 33 years.

11. Snow, love it or dread it!

Love it! wish we had more

12. Can you ice skate?

I haven't for so long, I'd probably end up spending more time on my rear end.


13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
Not really. Now my favorite gift to receive is memories my girls and husband write down for me to add to an album I have made to hold them.

14. What's the most important thing about the holidays for you?
Reflecting on God's grace and love.

15. What is your favorite holiday dessert?
I can't name just one, it wouldn't be fair to all the others! I did miss having my mom's Lime Jello at Thanksgiving this year. I didn't make it since I am the only one who likes it! But, I think I'll make it next year anyway. Just for me.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
I really like decorations, Christmas lights, and candles all through the house even though it takes a lot of time and effort. They help brighten even the grayest of winter days.

17. What tops your tree?
A needlepoint angel I made decades ago.

18. Which do you prefer, giving or receiving?
Giving =)

19. What is your favorite Christmas song?
O Holy Night

20. Candy canes, yuck or yummy?
Yummy. But this year I'm preferring, you guessed it, Sweets Quality Candies Peppermint Taffy!



3 comments:

Rachel said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! Your packages are BEAUTIFUL! Jill will love them!

Had to laugh at your taffy obsession! hee hee I liked reading your christmas stuff!

rachel

Tracy said...

These wrapped gifts look so charming. Too pretty to open!

queendebbee said...

Thanks Tracy! And thanks for leaving a comment! (I recognize you from Rachel's blog...)