Friday, August 18, 2006

sHeroes

Been wanting to scrap about this for some time now. Finally jumped in and did it yesterday. The hidden journaling reads:

I was pretty young during much of the Civil Rights movement. I do remember the adults talking about it and hearing bits and pieces about it on the news. I didn't even know I was "colored"! It wasn't until I was grown up that I realized how much prejudice my own mother and grandparents experienced in their lives and just how much my mom had sheltered me from it. For example, my father's parents were very prejudiced and called my brothers and me "half breeds". Not to us. They were cordial and polite to us the few times I remember visiting them. But, it explains why we were never close to them. Needless to say, they didn't like my mom at all and she made sure we saw them as little as possible. I guess I thought that was the extent of it until my mom told me about this experience she had while moving from New Mexico to California. My grandma got sick on the trip and needed some water. The only place available had a "whites only" sign on the door. My mom was only nine or so and they sent her in to ask for it, thinking surely the would give it to a child. Funny, I don't remember if they did or not. I just remember it being a real eye opener that only helped to deepen my love and respect for my mom and grandma. They are both heroes in my eyes. It was my grandma's idea to move to California. She saw it as a place full of opportunities for a better life for her children. I am so grateful to her for her vision and proud of her for the strength and courage it took to follow her dreams. My mom was a lot like her and I am trying my best to be like both of them...

{You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be daughters of your Father in heaven. ~Matthew 5:43}

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I totally NEED a colo copy of this page. I want it for MY scrapbooks. I'm so thankfull that you are scrapping these things. I know that there are not enough hours and minutes in the day for you and I to talk about all these things. and as Much as they are a part of you, they are also a part of me. I remember gramma telling us this story too. I don't think that they gave her the water... but I don't remember for sure. It's stories like this one that are the reason I CHOOSE to write "hispanic" on all of the documents that ask. I am spanish, and proud of it.

rachel